Select Language

Chertkovo

150 km south of Rossosh, in the Rostov Province, there is a town of 12,729 inhabitants located right on the border with Ukraine and split in two sovereign states: the Russian Federation and Ukraine. This village is called Chertkovo. The name of the region where Chertkovo is located is Chertkovsky Rayon (Tchertkoff Region) which area cover over half a million acres (260 thousand hectares) of black soil (chernozyem).

The Tchertkoffs were, until 1917, big landowners. In the 90’s of the XVIII century the family inherited by marriage more than 220 thousand hectares (500,000 acres) of land in Southern Russia which, later became the Voronezh Province. The son of Vassili Alekseyevich Tchertkoff (the famous Governor General), Dimitri Vassilievich married in 1788 Evdokya Tevashova who, being a single child, passed unto him all her lands which she inherited herself from her father Stefan Tevashov. Stefan’s father, Ivan Tevashov was an officer under Peter the Great. In gratitude for his loyalty to the Tsar, Peter the Great gave him huge unoccupied territories in Southern Russia.

When Alexander was born in 1789, his aunt (Evdokya’s sister) gave him as a birthday present a hamlet, which bear his name today: Alexandrovka.

The Tchertkoffs were growing on their land the sugar beet. This explains the construction of a sugar factory by Alexander the librarian. The means of transportation back then were inexistent. This is why the nephew of Alexander Dmitrievitch, General Mikhail Ivanovich Tchertkoff (1829-1905) did build in 1869 a railroad track from Rostov on the Don to Voronezh. Today this is the busiest North-South railway in Russia (Moscow – Rostov on the Don).  The first train station ever built, was built where the construction of the railroad track began, and was named after its founder: Tchertkoff. Around this train station houses were built and a village was born in the honor of its founder.

In August, 1999, during the 130th anniversary of the founding of Chertkovo, the Tchertkoff family returned to help the local inhabitants celebrate this milestone.

Chertkovo